Ton Roosendaal writes:
Blender 2.57 release
- At least two show-stoppers sneaked in the release. One that messed up partial sculpting display and a crash on entering 3d text editing.
- Meeting agrees on doing a 2.57a update release. Both Campbell and Ton will do extensive tracker hunting this monday already. But better be safe than sorry: call for final release can wait until wednesday or thursday. Status will be checked extensively in IRC and on this list.
- This also means we like everyone to check the tracker carefully, and only commit totally safe fixes!
- Doing even better RC testing was also discussed. The regression files on blender.org would have revealed the issues in release... ideas or suggestions to organize this better are welcome! Ton's preference would be to find 5-6 artists available for an extensive test and approve releases before we publish them. It's a boring but rewarding job :) Contact Ton in IRC or here for it?
- Ton contacted the splash committee (Thomas Dinges, Sergey Sharybin, Lukas Toenne) if they could spend review time whether to pick another splash for the update. This we didn't do before, nor do we want to dispute their authority! Thomas confirmed they'll look into it.
- FMX show will be in about 2 weeks! Ton, Thomas and several artists will be demoing on a booth there for 4 days.
Other projects & todos
- Discussion on default keymap convention ongoing on the list. Needs a good proposal to solve in 2.58, which could probably be to have a small standard set of maps to match keyboard layouts, laptops or other 3d programs. Needs further investigation & code work (also for add-ons).
- Intel graphics card problems: Sergey mentions that older Intel drivers (2006!) don't support 'shared OpenGL context' and will crash current svn. Meeting agrees it's acceptable for users to be required to update to stable/current drivers from vendors.
- Tom Musgrove made a wiki page for branch developers to summarize status. Please fill in!
Google Summer of Code
- Mentors and students still have a few days left to review or to update comments.
- Official deadline for reviews and assigning mentors: April 22nd 07:00 UTC.
- Official announcement of accepted students: April 25 19:00 UTC.