Notes for meeting of Monday, 11 January 2021. 11:00 CET / UTC 10:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.
Corrective Blender 2.91.1 Release
It is schedule for this Wednesday 13th. Jeroen Bakker will handle the release, in coordination with Dalai Felinto.
The list of commits is growing a little bit too much… Probably needs some review pass?
BCon3 for 2.92 release should happen this week on Wednesday 13th. Dalai Felinto will go over the 2.92 tasks, but so far there are still a lot of open ones for features, missing icons, etc.
All developers are encouraged to go over the workboard and address or re-assign tasks to next 2.93 release (as a reminder, after BCon3 we should only have bug tasks tagged for 2.92).
Things like missing icons must be tackled, otherwise we’ll have to revert corresponding features.
Also Asset Browser and Geometry Nodes will need to be evaluated to check if they are ready. Dalai Felinto will coordinate final decisions there in next two days.
- Julian Eisel would rather hide Assets Browser in the ‘experimental features’ for 2.92 release, it needs a lot more polishing, fixing, and even some design decisions may need to be re-evaluated.
- Jacques Lucke notes that the Geometry Nodes sprint planning is postponed to Tuesday 12th. Status for 2.92 will be evaluated there.
Google Summer of Code 2021
New Features and Changes
- Fluids: add viscosity solver to simulate thick liquids (commit ) (Sebastián Barschkis)
- Eevee: write Cryptomatte metadata to OpenEXR files (commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)
- Cycles: vertex color baking support (commit ) (Brecht Van Lommel)
- Geometry Nodes: new Rotate Points node (commit ) (Jacques Lucke)
- Modifiers: operator to copy a modifier to all selected objects (commit ) (Erik Abrahamsson)
- Compositor: add multiple modes to Set Alpha node, and improve keying nodes alpha handling for consistency (commit ) (Jeroen Bakker)
- Windows: more robust Wintab tablet event handling (commit ) (Nicholas Rishel)
- Animation: improve discontinuity filter for bones in Bake Action (commit ) (Sybren A. Stüvel)
- User Interface
- Outliner: list library overrides for each datablock (commit ) (Julian Eisel)
- Properties Editor: add popover with options for outliner syncing (commit ) (Nathan Craddock)
- Node Editor: improve node group input and output list interface (commit ) (Hans Goudey)
- Weight Paint: Sample Weight tool shows weight value and uses eyedropper cursor (commit ) (commit ) (Juanfran Matheu)