- Blender 2.83.1 LTS was released with 33 bug fixes.
- blender.org , Steam and Snap have the builds, MS store is still processing it.
- Code Quality Day this Friday - 4th/July.
- Sergey Sharybin will have enough tasks for anyone interested on helping with clang-tidy.
- LANPR project is now “Line Art”, code refactored for the new naming.
- Grease pencil add-on: Samuel Bernou started working on it. Video or post to come.
Blender 2.83.1 LTS
- Post-mortem, main outcome is that cherry-picking issues is getting complicated.
- Proposal: original developers to be contacted by the LTS maintainer to help merging.
- This wasn’t received so well since it will add burden to the core-team.
- There were no conclusions and Dalai Felinto, Jeroen Bakker and Sergey will discuss this internally.
- Dalai proposes to have a 2-week long bug sprint as part of the regular release cycle after bcon2.
- There was no consensus on the best way of handling this, if it should be handled per-module or when to happen.
- A clear proposal will be posted on bf-committers for discussion later.
Google Summer of Code
- This week (29/Jun 18h CEST - 03/Jul 18h CEST) is the first evaluation period.
- All mentors to fill in their reports.
- Mentors that need help assessing the student work poke Dalai for help.
New Features and Changes
Sculpt & Paint
- Vertex color painting in sculpt mode, initial implementation. (commit ) ( Pablo Dobarro )
- Remove threaded sculpt option, always enabled now. (commit ) ( Pablo Dobarro )
- Intel OpenImageDenoise support for viewport denoising. (commit ) ( Brecht Van Lommel )
- Add denoising settings to the render properties. (commit ) ( Brecht Van Lommel )
- Motion Blur: add support for hair motion blur and accumulation motion blur for better precision. (commit ) ( Clément Foucault )
- Improved OpenVDB support for fluid caches and use as default cache format. The OpenVDB cache files can now be easily used for the volume object and in other applications that follow similar grid naming conventions. (commit ) (commit ) ( Sebastián Barschkis )
- Show library status icons in search menus, rather than letter prefix (commit ) ( Julian Eisel )
- Add shortcuts for modifier panels (commit ) (commit) ( Hans Goudey )
- Alphabetize grease pencil modifier list. (commit) ( Adrian Newton )
- Tweak cache file template layout. (commit) ( Hans Goudey )
- Text Editor: add replace all operator. (commit ) ( Campbell Barton )
- Add free handle types to curve widget (commit ) ( Hans Goudey )
- Transform: support for all snapping types for edge slide. (commit ) ( Germano Cavalcante )
- Performance: animation editors now draw faster during animation playback when there are many keyframes, by only updating the header and playhead. (commit ) (commit )
- Preferences: add new particles and hair systems under early development as experimental developer options. (commit ) ( Jacques Lucke )
- Grease Pencil: add antialiasing parameter to Pixel FX. (commit ) ( Antonio Vazquez )
About the Author
I have a LONG history with Blender - I wrote some of the earliest Blender tutorials, worked for Not a Number and helped run the crowdfunding campaign that open sourced Blender (the first one on the internet!). I founded BlenderNation in 2006 and have been editing it every single day since then ;-) I also run the Blender Artists forum and I'm Head of Community at Sketchfab.