- blender.org was under DDoS attack last week, but all seems well. Kudos for Dan McGrath and Sergey Sharybin for keeping an eye on things.
- The 2020 big projects proposal was posted on code.blender.org . No big concern was raised so for now we move on with them.
- LA Blender conference was official confirmed, dates: June 1 and 2. Call for talks and tickets will come later.
- Tracker curfew is under 1,000 open issues, great work everyone.
- This Friday we start the code quality day (first Friday of each month), email to bf-committers will be sent soon. Everyone interested in been involved can hang out on blender.chat to help tackle technical debts, code refactoring, variables renaming, …
- Aaron Carlisle is working with Nathan Letwory on a Git-LFS support proposal. The idea is to start with the manual. Dalai Felinto suggest them to write to bf-committers since this is a big topic.
Blender 2.82 - bcon3
- bcon4 starts this Thursday, so everyone be sure to commit bugs before that.
- Anything that comes after must be a critical fix.
- Users encouraged to treat builds from Thursday on as release candidates, please test them as much as possible.
Blender 2.83 - bcon1
Changes and New Features
- User Interface:
- Info editor visual refresh. ( Harley Acheson )
- NLA editor sidebar layout reorganized. ( William Reynish )
- File browser has improved system paths and icons on all platforms. ( Yevgeny Makarov, Harley Acheson )
- Tweaks to sculpt symmetry and BVH user interface layout. ( William Reynish )
- Better icon sharpness preservation at different UI scales. ( Yevgeny Makarov )
- Text kerning improvements when using translation. ( Harley Acheson )
- More platform standard shortcut naming in menus. ( Harley Acheson )
- Objects: Affect Parents option now works for snapping and clear transform. ( Campbell Barton )
- Modifiers: cast, warp and displace modifiers now have an invert vertex group option. ( Cody Winchester )
- Eevee: tangent space normal map support for curves and surfaces. ( Clément Foucault )
- Shading: color output for White Noise node. ( Charlie Jolly )
- macOS daily builds on builder.blender.org are now code-signed, so they can be run without having to change the system preferences. ( Sergey Sharybin )
About the Author
I have a LONG history with Blender - I wrote some of the earliest Blender tutorials, worked for Not a Number and helped run the crowdfunding campaign that open sourced Blender (the first one on the internet!). I founded BlenderNation in 2006 and have been editing it every single day since then ;-) I also run the Blender Artists forum and I'm Head of Community at Sketchfab.
I still want to know who it was that thought it was a good idea to DDoS the Blender Foundation. Really not cool.
musta been ADSK :wink:
Petty are those who see creations before it's eyes yet hender the growth of visionaries because they closed their own minds.
Random tid-bit here...
What I want to know is why a AMD Ryzen 3500U with Vega 8 graphics is being trounced in viewport Eevee performance and rendering by a lowly Intel Core i3-7100U with it's HD 620... Updated drivers and BIOS and everything... Is this a known issue that is being worked on? Or am I SOL. haha.
Otherwise great work by everyone working on Blender!
My actual workstation runs Blender amazingly!