Simon Wendsche writes:
I wrote an addon that adds a very basic feature to Cycles/Eevee image texture nodes: it shows a preview thumbnail of the image inside or above the node.
- High performance: Thumbnails are generated by a C++ worker thread in the background, the Blender UI stays fully responsive at all times
- Low memory usage: Each thumbnail takes up 265 KiB of graphics RAM (regardless of the size of the previewed texture). 100 thumbnails would use 25.6 MiB - a negligible amount.
- Supported image formats: jpg, png, hdr, psd, tga, bmp, gif
- Supported Cycles nodes: Image Texture and Environment Texture
- No changes are made to the .blend, others without the addon can still open your scenes without problems
- High-resolution displays supported (works with Blender's resolution scale feature)
- Thumbnails are not displayed for packed images
- EXR format currently not supported
- Thumbnails of image sequences are not updated when changing frames