You're blocking ads, which pay for BlenderNation. Read about other ways to support us.

Behind the Scenes: Bob’s Phonograph



Hi there! My name is Cristine Tellier, and I live in São Paulo, Brazil. I'm a systems architect and work as an Architecture Coordinator at a retail business. However, I'm also a 3D modeling freelancer. 

I found out about 3D modeling while taking a game dev class and realized that I not only enjoy it but also have a talent for it. Since 2018, I have been using Maya and ZBrush, and during the quarantine, I discovered Blender through free classes on the "3D na Revo" YouTube channel. I later enrolled in a Blender course at Escola Revolution. 

My focus has been on modeling, materials, and rendering, particularly embracing procedural techniques.


To be honest, there wasn't a specific inspiration for this project. I was driven by a weekly lookdev challenge hosted by an Instagram profile, @felipeferreira3d, the owner of Bench Park School. That week, the concept art by Oksana Govorova caught my attention:

I thought it would be a great opportunity to challenge myself with horn modeling.


As I said before, the horn should have been the bigger challenge, but I was wrong.

After trying two or three approaches, I started to think about it as a flower, and so the modeling quickly flowed. I modeled one petal and used arrays to shape the horn.

The real challenge was yet to come: the arm of the needle head. It took me several long minutes to solve it in a better way. 


I'm sure most people would use painted textures in this project, but it's not my thing. I do like procedural stuff. So, except for the logo on the disk label, all materials are procedural. And since I wasn't painting textures, there was no need to generate ultra-perfect UVs. The basic projections - planar, cube, cylinder - did the job.

I've made a clay-like material that I use as a base for almost everything, with exceptions made for metallic and plastic parts. Typically, I use the Principled BSDF shader with additional nodes based on the material attributes.


For lighting, I used an HDRI as ambient light and an area light to shape the horn. Additionally, I added some ghost flares with composition nodes.

Almost all of my works for these lookdev challenges have an Easter egg: the Escola Revolution logo. It's kind of an inside joke among Blender students from the school. Initially, I thought about positioning it on the front label. But later, I realized that the disk label would be a better place.


The animation was made procedurally, of course, using geometry nodes. Why use the timeline when I can use nodes?

Technical information about my final render:

  • 3D Software: Blender 3.5.1
  • Main Renderer: Cycles
  • Resolution: 1300 x 1300px
  • Samples: 2048
  • Camera: Perspective 35mm, FOV 54.4°, DOF 5m, F-Stop 0.8
  • Post-production: Adobe Photoshop

RENDER - Bob’s Phonograph

Here is the animation:

Thank you for reading. Feel free to ask any questions, and if you like my work, follow me on social media. Have a good day!

About the Artist                       

Cristine Tellier is a 3D Generalist and Lookdev Artist, currently working as a 3D modeling freelancer.                                                                                           

About the Author

Avatar image for Alina Khan
Alina Khan

A self taught 3d artist, who seeks to excel in the computer graphics field. Currently a student, freelancer and the editor for the 'Behind the Scenes' at Blender Nation.


  1. Renato Stegun on

    Fantastic work Chris! I loved getting to know the process in more detail. Beautiful presentation. Congratulations

Leave A Reply

To add a profile picture to your message, register your email address with To protect your email address, create an account on BlenderNation and log in when posting a message.