Aaron Carlisle writes:
Hello fellow Blenderers here is a short list of what has happened in the development in Blender this week.
To read more and to see the links for more details please see the full post here.
- Small (7%) performance increase in metaball tessellation rBd95eabf0
- Cycles: better distance sampling for chromatic volume extinction (see link for comparison images) rBa466d7ae
- Cycles: add bevel shader, for raytrace based rounded edges (see the link in the commit message for example images) rB26f39e63
- Cycles: antialias normal baking if the mesh has a bump map rBd0af56fe
- Cycles: reduce closure memory usage for emission/shadow shader data (30% memory improvement) rB8a72be76
- Cycles: fix inefficient attribute map storage, saves 615MB in victor scene. rBcac3d4d1
- Manipulators: add a new ruler tool rB0260fad9
- Small speedup for viewport data caching (60% improvement) rBed555750
- Support Auto-Smooth in Edit-Mode rB5d70e847
- UI: show tool-tips for each tools shortcuts rBfbfda21f
Along with the noted changes below, there was a lot of work done to have the changes reading to be merged into the blender2.8 branch.
- Add smoothing to the stroke thickness rBfce610ee
- Add drawing parameter to adjust stroke stabilization rBa051c2e8
- Add more parameters to define how the stroke is stabilized rB526e2291
- Optionally cancel render when a texture is missing D2908
- Experimental hashing lookup of ID’s (14x speed improvement) D2910
- Cycles: Reducing amount of operations per intersect check (8% speed improvement) D2911
- Array Modifier: option to offset UV’s D2912
- blender2.8: support for metaball drawing D2914