Antonio Buch from Forgotten Fantasies shares some insight into how they created commercials using Blender and motion tracking. Cool stuff!
We want to share the breakdown of our most diverse VFX project so far. It was a "simple" corporate video for a local company but we love to make the things more complicated an awesome so we added some VFX to make something different.
All the effects were of course made with Blender, composition included. The needs of the shots were so diverse that almost all the VFX shots are in the breakdown. We have examples here of chroma keying, match moving, rotoscoping, actor's face tweaks, CG elements composition, background & screen replacement, shot clean up and a cool two-shots merging with different movements within themselves. The last one was equally cool and challenging.
The video was shot in 4K with a Blackmagic Production Camera and the pipeline involved some other programs besides Blender. First, the shots were converted to an EXR sequence with DaVinci Resolve. From here, most of the work was made on Blender but we also made some textures with GIMP or Krita (actually there's a lot of cloning texture work inside Blender). Once the composition was finished, we exported again in EXR to be edited and color corrected with DaVinci Resolve.
At this point worth mentioning that the work between the two softwares is very straight forward. It's very easy to export an EXR sequence that fits seamless with the original color space of the Blackmagic footage.
We've been doing VFX with Blender for some time and I personally love the workflow (though it's a little rough at the beginning). Here is a previous VFX project too, the first where we tested a VFX pipeline with Blender and also a 24-hour-rush work.
We hope you like the video and thanks for reading!