Ton Roosendaal writes:
Here are the notes from today's meeting in irc.freenode.net #blendercoders.
1) Migration to git and Phabricator
- Blender entered a new era of software development! What started with manual backups (1994), moved to cvs (2000), svn (2007) and now to git (2013). It's almost the 7 year itch :)
- Our online projects system also migrated, with GForge in 2003, to FusionForge in 2010, and now Phabricator. The Phabricator site has a lot better tools for organizing code work with large teams - including reviewing and managing feedback, research or patches. You can access it at developer.blender.org.
- Special thanks to the awesome work on this migration by Brecht van Lommel, Campbell Barton, Sergey Sharybin, Dan McGrath and Julien Rivaud.
- Remaining tasks are outlined here.
- Brecht will write a code.blender.org blog article about the new development environment, which will get link on blender.org frontpage as well.
2) 2.70 targets and scheduling
- It's BCon1 still - means we're gathering ideas for the upcoming release.
- Planning proposal: 2nd week of december move to BCon2, mid january BCon3, and release end of february. See the Blender 2.7x Release Cycle document.
- Lukas Toenne: posted a patch for EWA sampling in Compositor on the bf-compositor list, needs some review but this at least would partially fix the sampling issues we have there.
- Reminder for everyone, 2.70 is allowed to break forward compatibility.
- Brecht is working on a UI project and team announcement, will be posted in few days.
- Meeting discussed work we could do on keymaps and how to manage defaults or presets. Jonathan Williamson will contact people who might be interested in managing the Maya and Max "defaults". Brecht suggested to completely remove hardcoded C keymap definitions. This will be investigated further.
- Meeting ended discussing a lot of interesting other code projects, like for painting tools (GSoC), Beveling options, modeling roadmaps, Cycles, etc. Ton suggested to try to work this out better in the coming weeks and make it a proposed target for 2.70 in wiki.