It looks like we may have a 2.59 release before Siggraph (mid-August). One of the more exciting upcoming projects (for me) is the replacement of Blender's rather buggy booleans with the Carve library!
1) Blender 2.58 and next release
- As usual, bug tracker remains high in count... several obscure issues or from inexperienced users though. It's half a support system now too. Still, module owners should check on what's assigned!
- Daniel Salazar proposes a small default key switch: to keep Shift+Ctrl+S for "Save-as", and make Alt+Ctrl+S for transform option "Push/Pull". Both were in use for "save as", which is unneeded.
- Main target for 2.59 is still to resolve keymap and user setting load/save issues.
- Timing for 2.59: If we want a Siggraph release, new code should get in svn this week. Next sunday review of feasibility of that.
- Python math utilities: there's a bug in the code that treats "matrix * vector" and "vector * matrix" the same. They mean something else mathematically though. Campbell added a warning in console for wrong usage. Final fix then will happen 13th of September.
- A discussion started on Add-On quality and reviewing process. Luca Bonavita mentions the add-on tracker can be used to downgrade status of provided scripts too. Proposal is to start meeting regular about it in irc, 1st sunday month.
2) Other projects & branches
- New seamless texture bake in svn, Sergey Sharybin reviewed Morten Mikkelsen's code. Proposal is to add a short doc online about it, for example on Blender code blog.
- Still needed: schedule to apply branches/patches for 2.6x series. Thomas Dinges volunteers to investigate it and make a proposal for how to manage it well. Will be combined with a proposal for more formal bi-monthly release cycle in general.
- Campbell Barton reviewed patch for weight modifiers, he proposes to move this to a branch for a short while to further complete it.
- New booleans; Sergey contacted Carve developer Tobias Sargeant, he's available to help fixing up some issues we've discovered.
- Icon designer; Ton checks with Jendzrych, for help and/or get his SVG files. We could use more designers active to help out as well.
3) Google Summer of Code
- Joerg Mueller mentions the "Pepper" branch (5 students!) doesn't merge in "Salad" anymore. He gave up on it now... but the other students should keep track of it too. Sergey offers help with solving conflicts.
- Sergey made an FAQ for this project.
Joerg Mueller gave up...
One leaves, ten involves
Excellent news on the Carve implementation. I don't really know what it does, but if it makes booleans faster and more stable then I'm all for it.
"Icon designer; Ton checks with Jendzrych, for help and/or get his SVG files. We could use more designers active to help out as well."
Is there a project page for more info on this?
I would start here http://www.blender.org/community/get-involved/
Just too many new things being added all the time !! Can't keep up :P !!
Thx to Ton and all the Devs for the great work that they are doing. Development of Blender is going so fast. I'm still taking my time to shift completely from 2.49 to 2.5x. Now that Luxrender support Alpha Channel its gonna be ok for me to start big project on 2.5x series, though I have to learn that soft too now.
Are you guys planning to have cycle come out with the first version of 2.6x series?
Thx again for everything :)
NovaCut editor plans to be a collaborative editor. Could developers make blender a collaborative program?