Advertisement

You're blocking ads, which pay for BlenderNation. Read about other ways to support us.

Blender Developers Meeting Notes

15

blender-sourceThe Meeting notes of Sunday August 16, 2009


1) Google Summer of Code

  • The official end of the GSoC project is near now.
    Students will prepare final presentation for the mentors, so we can report back to Google. No dropouts this time, sofar so good!
  • Lukas will wrap up his work on faster Mesh draw (FBO), needs people with ATI to help

2) 2.49b update?

  • Still no resolution for issues in Windows... some devs will try to allocate time to check on it this week. Comes back later.

3) 2.50 project

  • We succesfully migrated to py 3.1. Meeting spent considerable time about correct build system for releases... zip or no zip, using blender svn to get modules or using standard install. Most likely Windows/OSX will get all in svn, and Linux (option for) using system install.
  • New audio code integrated, new dependency for Blender is libsamplerate. Jorg proposes to also add Jack support, will come back later.
  • Brecht posted long list with todos, Ton will also go over it and try to extract a planning from it, plus a good doc about 'what works', so we can open up a tracker for 2.5 feedback.
  • UI scripting focus is now on header buttons & menus!
  • When to swap swap trunk and 2.5 branch... meeting suggests to postpone until a 2.49 update is done.
  • 2.5 Game Engine todos: shape keys, properties UI.

4) Other current projects

  • Benoit's robotics project progresses still, merger will wait a couple of weeks, but target is for september to merge in 2.5
  • Joe reports that BMesh progress goes well, it's pretty close to things being testable. Subsurf still has issues. Testing builds of this branch have to make available still.

About Author

Bart Veldhuizen

I have a LONG history with Blender - I wrote some of the earliest Blender tutorials, worked for Not a Number and helped run the crowdfunding campaign that open sourced Blender (the first one on the internet!). I founded BlenderNation in 2006 and have been editing it every single day since then ;-) I also run the Blender Artists forum and I'm Head of Community at Sketchfab.

15 Comments

  1. Jack support would be awesome! Blender has really become a very well rounded program. Also, any idea on whether ngons will be implemented for 2.50? Or is it coming up in some other 2.5X release?

  2. Jack support is going to be so cool :D I hope jack transport will be supported. I would be really cool to be able to start and stop playback form Ardour inside the blender sequencer.

  3. >> Also, any idea on whether ngons will be implemented for 2.50? Or is it coming up in some other 2.5X release?

    That was the very last item listed, Joe's bmesh system is the implementation of ngons, among other things. There's still no word on whether it'll be in 2.50, but if not then 2.51 is for sure. (2.50 is still a goal though)

  4. jesterKing replied to these notes in BF-commiters:

    > Ton Roosendaal wrote:
    > > - New audio code integrated, new dependency for Blender is
    > > libsamplerate. Jorg proposes to also add Jack support, will come back
    > > later.
    >
    > I guess the "later" is now, since Jack support has already been committed :)
    >
    > To make sure that stuff works with scons too, I added it there.
    >
    > /Nathan

  5. "Most likely Windows/OSX will get all in svn, and Linux (option for) using system install."

    It isn't "Most likely Linux/OSX will get all in svn, and Windows (option for) using system install."??

  6. Well development is happening fast. B-mesh seems an important feature hope it progress smoothly. Hay, to many jargons I didn't recognize, still they look exciting.

Leave A Reply

To add a profile picture to your message, register your email address with Gravatar.com. To protect your email address, create an account on BlenderNation and log in when posting a message.

Advertisement