Yo Frankie! (Project Apricot) is Blender Foundation's first Open Game project, recently finished in the studio of the Blender Institute in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Three Blender artists, two Crystal Space developers and a Blender developer have been invited to come over to Amsterdam for six months to create an awesome and industry standard 3D game experience!
The game will be based on the bully rodent in Big Buck Bunny, the hilarious 3D furry & funny cartoon movie produced by the Blender Foundation.
Just like our previous Open Projects Orange and Peach, the game itself and all of the production files will be published under the Creative Commons, free to be reused and for everyone to learn from. More importantly, the team is going to challenge Blender and Crystal Space to the max, inspiring the entire development community to prove an open source production pipeline is ready for industry quality 3D game creation. Special attention will be paid to animating cartoonish characters and real-time rendering quality.
You can help us to realize projects like this by purchasing the special DVD Game edition of Yo Frankie!
On the Yo Frankie! DVD you will find:
- A full functional prototype in the Blender Game Engine, running in Linux, Windows and OS X.
- A complete level in Crystal Space, with installer, running in Linux, Windows and OS X.
- All .blend files, models, textures, sound clips, game sources, and so on... all the material used to create the game.
- Documentation and video tutorials by the team members about all technical aspects the game; like how to re-use assets, animate characters, or add new levels.
- The Big Buck Bunny movie in various formats
Visit the apricot.blender.org blog for more information about this project.