A few months after the test release of Indigo 0.6, the free unbiasedÂ render engine is now final and available for download.
Indigo is noÂ stranger to catering to Blender users with the Blender to Indigo tutorial.Â And with the site redesign it's even easier to navigate your way to Indigo mastery.
0.6 is the latest and greatest, boasting some very impressive features:
- Monte-Carlo path tracing or Monte-Carlo Metropolis Light Transfer for unbiased light transfer.
- Experimental support for Bidirectional path tracing and MLT on top of bidirectional path tracing
- Scene is specified in an XML file.
- Spectral rendering: light is modelled at the wavelength level, allowing for more accurate reflection and transmission models.
- Can specify lens/aperture radius and focal length for depth of field.
- White balance setting for virtual camera.
- Reinhard tone mapping or linear tone mapping.
- Outputs to PNG and optionally tonemapped and untonemapped EXR.
- Progressive rendering... watch as the image becomes less and less noisy.
- Per-object and scene-wide kd-tree spatial partitioning for fast ray tracing.
- Distributed network rendering using slaves/master design.
- Lambertian diffuse. Can be textured.
- Specular - perfect specular reflection and transmission. Obeys Fresnel law for dielectrics. Total internal reflection and refraction is handled accurately. Dispersion and absorption are supported.
- Phong - Physically based glossy reflection using phong lobe. Can use a diffuse substrate as well. Can use diffuse texture for substrate and specular texture to modulate specular reflection.
- Bump mapping
- Sphere and plane primitives.
- Meshes can be loaded from .3ds (3D Studio Max) models or from xml scene.
- Rectangle Area light emitter
- Physically based spectral and sunlight model.
- Uniform environment light.
- Mesh emitters.
- Emission spectra can be piecewise constant, RGB curves, or blackbody spectra.
- HDR environment maps using OpenEXR image format or .float floating point images.
So now is the time to take a look at the one and only.... Indigo 0.6.