Smackall Games, an Indian Game Design Studio for mobile devises just released their 3D scanning software to use the Microsoft Kinect scanner to capture 3D models.
The screenshot shows the OS X interface including Meshlab which can be used to clean up and stitch together multiple scans including patching holes. I used it alot with other laser scanner and digitizers I used. It is also free. While the resolution of the Kinect is rather coarse, those 3D scans can be used as a 3D sketch object to draw your cleaner topology over in Blender. Because this software is also only $1.99 it might worth to try out incase you have a Kinect already. The upcoming version has some very promising features lined up. If you google for MS Kinect you can find it already for as low as 110 US $. If you feel not comfortable with sculpting maybe this combo could be a good fit to shorten the time needed to develop well proportioned characters.
Features in version 1.0:
- Captures with/without background. Uses a good self learning background removal algorithm that detects moving objects and removes noises.
- The captured mesh can be exported to PLY file format.
- The mesh is filled with vertex coloring.
Proposed Features in version 2.0:
- Additional file formats (3ds, obj, dae, fbx, …).
- Capturing Animation in deforming Mesh.
- Facial Expression capturing.