Notes for weekly communication of ongoing projects and modules.
- Blender 2.83.19 LTS and 2.93.8 LTS have been released
- Blender will no longer stick to the VFX Reference Platform.
- Blender Studio announced Project Heist, a High-end Cinematic Experience
- The triaging team focused on tackling the report backlog (already decreased by 200 now). Further improvements are expected with Omar Emara joining the team as part time triager (part time dev). And there is even extra room in the triaging team for people with Blender technical expertise. (Philipp Oeser)
Proxies have been deprecated since Blender 3.0, but their internal evaluation/management code was still there, and it was still possible to keep using existing proxies defined in older versions of Blender.
They have now been fully removed. Existing proxies are converted to library overrides as best as possible.
For more details, please see ⚓ T91671 Remove Proxies.
New Features and Changes
- Performance improvements:
- Multi-thread exports of large objects (commit) (Aras Pranckevicius)
- Split the Python OBJ importer and exporter, enabling only the importer (commit, commit) (Howard Trickey)
- Improve bevel N-way intersection continuity (commit) (Henrik Dick)
- Add infrastructure for a generic 8-bit integer data type (commit) (Hans Goudey)
- Add a shortuct to rename active strip (commit) (RedMser)
- Add Combine and Separate XYZ Nodes (commit) (Dalai Felinto)
- Remove dependency graph object transform dependency in some cases (commit) (Hans Goudey)
- Adjust Layout on Quick Setup Screen (commit) (Yevgeny Makarov)
- Performance improvements
- Improve speed of drawing many different font sizes by caching character widths(commit) (Harley Acheson)
- Remove internal support for proxies (commit, commit) (Bastien Montagne)
- Remove option to not auto-convert proxies on file load. (commit) (Bastien Montagne)