Here are the notes from today's developer meeting. Next meeting is Monday, 5 November 10:00 CEST (8:00 UTC).
1) Blender 2.8
- EEVEE got much improved soft shadows.
- Multi-object editing now works for lattices.
- Rigify addon was ported to 2.8.
- Cycles gained Cryptomatte support.
- Grease Pencil:
- Grease Pencil layers can be filtered by view layer for compositing.
- Instance modifier was renamed to array modifier.
- New time offset modifier:
2) Other Projects
- Mantaflow was submitted for code review. Likely too late for 2.80, but
review should start as soon as possible so it can be ready for 2.81.
- Alexander Gavrilov has some unreviewed animation patches. Developers
familiar with the area, please help reviewing.
3) Blender Conference
Blender 2.8 development presentations:
There was an informal Blender developers meeting. Some topics discussed:
- Going back to 3-4 months release schedule after 2.80 was generally
considered a good idea. Longer releases are difficult to organize, and
difficult for external contributors to participate in.
- How to handle bugfix releases. Idea was that if we have frequent releases
again and keep master quite stable, we can do a/b/c releases with only a
handful critical bugfixes. This should make it much faster to do such
releases, compared to trying to include hundreds of fixes.
- Developer wiki migration is still problematic:
- Addon docs are missing with no decision on keeping them in the wiki or
moving them elsewhere. As a result addon links in the 2.79 release are
broken, we should fix this.
- Code architecture and 2.8 code docs are still on the old wiki, we need
to migrate the relevant ones.
- Developer onboarding docs could be improved, Inês looks into it.