Last week's Boston Blender Meetup featured an hour-long python workshop by Patrick W. Crawford. You can now see the entire session online. Recording such sessions is a great idea, I wish more people did it!
In this workshop, participants learn how to control blender through python coding without any prior knowledge - and it's surprisingly easy!
Blender makes it very easy to automate tasks expand its out-of-the-box functionality. Knowing how to use scripting can take your artwork and animation to the next level, allowing you to focus less on the repetitive tasks and more on the things that matter.
This workshop will cover a few basics:
- How actions in blender translate to commands
- Basics of using the interactive python console
- Creating macro-like scripts using the info window
- Difference between an add-on and a script
- Using frame change handlers to animate text