From the thread:
Having made some characters recently, I wanted to build an eyeball that had the following requirements:
- Singe mesh:Â I wanted to be able to append a single object into any project.
- Procedural Textures:Â I didn't want to have to rely on image maps that could get lost.
- Versatile:Â One single model to be used for any type of character, be it human, alien or whatever.
- Easy:Â Any effects needed to be quickly accessible. I don't want to be wasting time faffing around with colourband settings at the texture level
- Impressive:Â This sucker needs to look good any way it goes. One other thing I really wanted was the iris musculature to follow the pupil dilation!
This intermediate levelÂ tutorial covers the modeling, materials, UV Mapping, and the ever-powerful shape keys.Â You can find it here (pdf).Â If you want to see what you can do, check out the demo video (quicktime .mov)Â of the result.Â And if you're having trouble, Jon also let everyone take a look at the .blend.Â Well done Jon!