Sanjeev Nandan writes:
Creativity comes to everyone in bits and pieces. The hard part is to stay motivated long enough to complete your project. For me this comes in the form of music videos. This is my 3rd music video and I would have never learnt as much if it weren’t for these videos.
This song was a collaboration between my daughter and me and we had the melody and the lyrics for quite some time. Little did I know that it would be almost a year before I completed the animation.
In some way, this was an easy choice. Since the song was about dance I know that I needed some dancing characters. The song would be sung by my 14 year old daughter so it made sense that the characters were all girls. I made one simple character - the tall one in the song. Then I thought to myself, ‘Why not shrink this character and with a few tweaks make her younger sister’. Thus came the twins ‘red’ and ‘orange’.
Spent a lot of time looking at several videos to create the armature. I know there are several ready made atmatures out there but I just wanted to do it all from scratch. After all this is the best way to learn. It had to be perfect because time well spent here is time saved in future.
For test renders I used a sample size of 4 and 20% image size. Each image still took around 20 sec to render. With around 4000+ frames, this would take me ~22 hours. Believe or not that wasn’t so bad. I had a fan blowing on my computer and ran the damn thing. I also monitored the GPU temperature. It was at around 50 to 60 deg C. Fan speed was probably at 50%. For my final render I used SheepIt render farm. This video would not have been possible without it.
Every software used for this music video is free.
Blender 3D, Audacity, MuseScore, SheepIt