I think the most interesting development news of this week is the possibility of the inclusion of 'Implicit Skinning' in Blender!
Ton Roosendaal writes:
Here's the notes from today's meeting in irc.freenode.net, #blendercoders:
1) 2.70 release planning
- We're still in BCon2 (targets defined). Here's the projects page.
- Sergey Sharybin's work on threaded object updating is going to git master this week - but needs final review confirmation from Brecht still.
- Jonathan Williamson will write down a page with UI targets for 2.70 and later.
- William Reynish is also available to work on the tabs proposal, and tools/toolbar and other topics
- Jonathan: contacted the original maintainer of Maya keymap (Gianmichele), he's available for future support most likely.
2) Other projects
- Ton Roosendaal had mail from this team. Implicit Skinning is close to a source release. We need to find someone who's interested to help getting this in Blender.
- Meeting further discussed the patch reviewing procedure. "Bad" patches that don't get in (easier to code self) feel like waste of time - where it should be a useful step to become involved. Ton suggested to think about ways how to assist new developers and learning paths.
- Campbell proposes to add RSVC, to convert SVG to PNG at build time. It is useful for icon bitmaps, to keep them outside of git.
3) Happy holidays!
"I think the most interesting development news of this week is the
possibility of the inclusion of ‘Implicit Skinning’ in Blender!"
Oh yes! For sure. :)
Happy holidays to everyone.
Great work everyone. The threaded object updating seems like a very big deal, even if it is deep under the hood.
What is Implicit Skinning, I've never heard of that one before, it does sound really cool though
So .. what IS implicit skinning?
It's freaking amazing!!
Check it here: https://vimeo.com/65966757
Will it be compatible with driven shapekeys? If so, this looks like an excellent and long lasting solution
Probably - all shapekeys do is modify the mesh that's input into the armature operater.
Well implicit skinning is this http://vimeo.com/65966757 hopefully someone can implement it in blender...of course when they release the source code.
I wonder, where would you try to publicize a set of scripts like this? They’re not technically Blender addons, though of course they make use of the Blender Python API.
Here - write up a release announcement and submit a news story under contribute. Add a post at blender artists under Coding->Released Scripts and Themes
Like @disqus_TRam2w4DCJ:disqus suggested, it would help if you could submit it as a story and include background information!
I already did.
Got it, thanks!
Anybody else notice that a patch was committed to remove the confirmation popup when deleting objects, only to be undone about three weeks later?