This was done over a couple of lunch breaks. Primarily using South Africa’s extreme poverty as a point of reference. Once the reference was done, modeling the 7 Shacks using a modular trimsheet workflow I was able to nail it in under 10 hours.
Trim sheet and texture atlases:
After reference collection, my first step was to create 2 trim sheets. Each sheet would contain 5 trims, totaling 10 altogether. After the trim sheets was sorted. I made a single texture atlas for elements not needed to have trim sheet functionality and flexibility.
The first steps were simply this: Create a box to the size of my smallest asset. I switched the boxed to not render able, then I detached the trims from their respective sheets or planes, and “clad” 2 of the 4 walls with a side and a door plus side, following the same process for the other 2 walls, but with a side as well as a windowed side. Snapping it to a non renderable box (or the 2 sides of it not deleted) then gave me precise sizes for and grid specific pivot placement – important for unreal if ever a model goes through blender to UE.
The render scene:
The render was done by hand placing content for the foreground. I then used weight painting to distribute background shacks using particles. Smoke and dust were added using alpha mp4 footage.
Hope you like it!