You're blocking ads, which pay for BlenderNation. Read about other ways to support us.

Behind the Scenes: Poirot 3D Portrait

4

Hi, everyone! I'm Andrew and I'm from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. I’d like to tell you about the creation process of "Poirot 3D portrait". Although I've been a 3D artist for a long time, I just started learning Blender. Actually, this is my first serious Blender project (and the only one so far).

For my project, I chose the main character from the "Agatha Christie's Poirot" TV series. David Suchet is a very recognizable actor so I thought that would make it easier to achieve a good likeness (so naive!).

 
This article is made possible by Qarnot Computing
Qarnot provides green cloud computing services.The heat released by the servers during operation is reused to sustainably warm buildings.
Learn more on qarnot.com.

Sculpting in ZBrush

This time I used ZBrush for sculpting. My method is very simple: look at the photo, sculpt, look at the photo again, sculpt more... repeat 1000 times. :-)

I started from a base mesh (with UVs) that I had modeled by myself earlier.

I prefer saving a lot of screenshots and renders to see the progress of the work and fix errors. I also added draft models of the hat and clothing. Later I modeled them again in Blender.

I didn't use any scanned data for the face details. First, I added procedural noise, then I used a standard brush with a skin pores alpha (you can see it in the picture below), and finally I added the rest of the details manually using the DamStandard brush and other built-in brushes.

When the sculpt was done, I exported a mid-poly mesh (43K points) and baked displacement map from the same subdivision level. The finished head model contained more than 11 million points.

The baked displacement map looks like this:

Modeling and rendering in Blender

I modeled clothes, hat, and bow tie using the same method: mesh modeling, solidify modifier, subdivision modifier. I used a mirror modifier for symmetrical objects like a jacket or shirt.

To avoid stretching the UVs at the clothes’ borders, unwrapping was done after applying the solidify modifier. Maybe there's a non-destructive way to do it, but I don’t know it.

I used principled BSDF materials with bitmaps in the diffuse slot and with some procedural maps for bump.

All the clothes are configured in a similar way:

For the skin material, I enabled subsurface and added a map for roughness. Maybe it was worth making the material more complex with reflection and subsurface maps, etc., but this time I didn't do it.

Color and roughness maps:

For the eye, I made two meshes: the inner one with the texture of the iris and the outer one with a round mask and a refractive material.

I used a Blender particle system for the hair. The hat covered the hair on the character's head, so I focused more on the eyebrows, eyelashes, and mustache.

In the picture below you can see a vertex group in weight paint mode and the finished hair particle system.

For all hair particle systems, I used a Principled Hair BSDF material.

Final renders

Finally, I was ready to render a result image.

I used Cycles and the built-in Blender denoiser. You can see my rendering settings in these screenshots:

I rendered Poirot with an alpha channel and an HDR background image, which I then blurred a bit in Photoshop. A little color correction and here is the result:

Also, you can watch a short video about the project:

Thanks for your attention. I hope you found this interesting.

About the Author

Andrew Dudka, CG artist

 

 

About Author

Abby Crawford

I've been a part of the BlenderNation team since 2018, producing Behind the Scenes and Meet the Artist features that highlight Blender artists and their work.

4 Comments

Leave A Reply

To add a profile picture to your message, register your email address with Gravatar.com. To protect your email address, create an account on BlenderNation and log in when posting a message.