Notes for meeting of Monday, 18 January 2021. 18:00 CET / UTC 17:00 on #blender-coders on blender.chat.
- The modeling module now has it’s own chat-room: #modeling-module.
- Tuesday Talks - (placeholder link for the upcoming meeting)
- Google Summer of Code 2021 big new changes
- Time and stipend were decreased by half.
- The ideas page needs to be updated to reflect that.
- Metin Seven is a new grant recipient as a technical artists
- Helping with a viscosity sample file.
- Will help with the asset bundle.
- The Blender manual will follow the branching strategy of the main code:
- The release branch will happen during the bcon3.
- Trunk (i.e., svn master) will be open for the new release right from the bcon1.
- Change will happen throughout this week.
- The 2.92 release entered beta (bcon3) last week.
- Asset browser was postponed to 2.93
- XR input patches by Peter Kim were postponed to 2.93
- Julien Eisel started to review them though.
- The meeting went into a discussion of how some things were rushed in the last minute and the stress that this produced.
New Features and Changes
- New Point Translate and Point Scale nodes (commit) (Hans Goudey)
- New Align Rotation to Vector node (commit) (Jacques Lucke)
- New Attribute Vector Math node (commit) (Hans Goudey)
- Point Distribution node: align points to face normals (commit) (Hans Goudey)
- Point Distribution node: support 3D distribution, improve performance (commit) (Jacques Lucke)
- Point Distribution node: transfer corner and point attributes (commit) (Jacques Lucke)
- Object Info node: transform geometry into local space (commit) (Jacques Lucke)
- Attribute Color Ramp node: output color (commit) (Jacques Lucke)
- Support exposing object and collection sockets in groups (commit) (Hans Goudey)
- Support accessing UV layers with attribute system (commit) (commit) (Jacques Lucke)
- Renaming of nodes and sockets for consistency (commit) (commit) (Hans Goudey)
- Asset Browser
- This feature is no longer part of the 2.92 release, aimed to be in 2.93 instead. (commit) (Julian Eisel)
- User Interface
- Save as Render color management option for the file output node (commit) (Robert Guetzkow)
- Upgrade to OptiX 7.1, NVIDIA driver version 450 or new is now required (commit) (Brecht Van Lommel)
- Add a vertex group setting to exclude from object collision. (commit) (Alexander Gavrilov)
- Grease Pencil
- Improve read performance for uncompressed .blend files (commit) (Lukas Stockner)