BLENDER JAM // ‘Shake the Ubisoft worlds!’
From October 11th to 13th, practice your skills on Blender with the Ubisoft Strategic Innovation
Lab*! It will take place in Montreuil, near Paris in France.
Are you a student in GameArt or Animation Cinema? Available the weekend of October
11 to 13? A Blender enthusiast? Then submit your application as soon as you can!
Click here to sign up no later than September 27th (limited number of places, selection based
on the entries received).
Your mission during the Blender Jam will be to highlight the potential of Blender by applying it
to Ubisoft universes!
You will get to choose among 5 working themes:
- Stylize / 'In the style of': pimp a universe, transpose it to another style (low poly, abstract,
cartoon, realistic, 2D ...).
- Ecological / Green: create in a responsible way! Use Blender to spread a positive message
for the environment or on a wider scale, for a sustainable development.
- Voxel: use the voxel (marching cubes, 'blocky' rendering...) and exploit its potential: a voxel is
not always a cube in Minecraft! It can store other information, such as material...
- Make visible the invisible: enrich a universe by revealing on the screen things that can’t be
seen with the naked eye! Waves, smells, mathematical functions...
- Micro / Macro levels: explore the infinitely small and / or the infinitely large in your creation. Make Ubisoft travel in one of its own universes, for example to the atoms that compose the
cells on face, or to the edge of a galaxy!
These 5 themes have been combined with a dozen Ubisoft universes (including Rayman, AC,
Child of Light...). A set of 'universe Ubisoft x Themes' combinations came out, each one better
than the next. The combinations will provide both challenges and opportunities, which is
exciting! They will be revealed during the launch party that will take place on Octobre 11th.
NB: each group will have to choose a different challenge.
What’s the program?
- 11/10 at 7:00pm - launch party: you will choose the challenge you like the most and pick your partners to form your team! Each team will be composed of 2 students + 1 professional from the creative teams of Ubisoft.
- 12/10 - 13/10: take up the challenge by creating a 100% Blender deliverable (image, animation sequence, tech demo ...), and use the opportunity to become more efficient on Blender thanks to a Master Class integrated into the event!
- 13/10 at 5:00pm: present your project to a prestigious jury, and you might get to win a nice prize (see below).
Thrilled by the challenge?
Send us your application and Blender creations no later than September 27th. You will know if you are selected by September 30th!
You might get to win all you need to continue to deploy your creativity: 3D resources, tutoring trainings, 3D prints, art books, games...
You will present your demos to a jury of Ubisoft managers and Blender experts! Serge Hascoet (Jury President: Chief Creative Officier at Ubisoft), Pierrot Jacquet (Head of Production at Ubisoft), Pablo Vazquez (Lighting Artist at Blender), Benoit Martinez (Lead Artist & Technical Art Director at Ubisoft) and Cyril Derouineau (VP Editorial Technology at Ubisoft).
If you have any questions, contact us: [email protected].
*The Strategic Innovation Lab is an internal Think-and-Do-tank, whose mission is to help Ubisoft anticipate the future. The Lab explores the technologies and trends that influence the future of entertainment, and assesses their potential by producing their own prototypes and collaborating with cutting-edge players in innovation: startups, schools, companies.