1D_Inc provides an overview of mesh deformer modifiers, with demo videos and download links.
Blender 3D has got a very nice choice ways of mesh distribution and manipulation. The number of methods is constantly growing, and there are already a lot of tutorials, but there is still no collection point where you can view the functional range.
After Textools 1.2.0 was released I've decided to make short overview of most interesting free methods of mesh deforming/distribution, and supply it with tutorial links and two opensource libraries of basic patterns:
BLENDER MESH DEFORMERS DISTRIBUTORS (Fast and short video overview)
The following methods are shown in this video:
- Snap To Faces (edit mode snap), project mesh on surface from view
- Shrinkwrap (modifier), projects mesh on closest surface point
- Mirror+Array+Curve (modifiers), muliply pattern and deform by curve
- Surface Deform (Modifier), control mesh deformation by other mesh:
- Mifth Mira Tools (addon) - Wrap Tool, project objects placements on base surface by UV:
- Textools - Mesh Texture (addon), wrap patch to base by UV. Download here.
- Tissue (addon), generate surface by wrapping patch to shape of polygons of base. Download here.
- Duplication (default objects property), spread objects on base mesh geometry. Download here.
- Hairs+Groups (default particles) = spread objects over base surface:
- Surface Follow (addon), wrap patch to base by UV shapekey transformation. Download here, install [Surface Follow.py] [TextureHack.py] [UVShape.py] manually separately
- Lattice modifier + Easy (addon), Mesh deformer helper:
Join as shape for modified copy: