An Phung writes:
When I transitioned from 3ds Max to Blender a couple months ago, one of the first things I searched for was a Straighten tool, only to find out that there wasn't (still isn't) a dedicated operator for that. After a long time of asking in forums, groups; doing my own research, and a few happy accidents, I've found 5 ways to straighten edges in Blender.
- Edge Unbend - an operator in Align Tools in CTools by Chromoly.
- Line Up - from Zaloopok addon.
- Vertex Align - from Vertex Tools.
- Relax - from LoopTools (built-in).
- Zero Scaling on Custom Orientation - Manual way to straighten.
Thanks to the author of these add-ons for sharing them with us for free!
- Sorry for the crap audio. I will get a better mic as I get more into making videos. Also, I'm pretty shy and English is my second language, but hopefully you can understand what I'm saying in the video.
- My Interface and hotkeys are probably vastly different from yours, but you should be able to find the operators with the Search Menu. I also highly recommend customizing your own interface and hotkeys. I'm thinking about making a video on how to customize the interface and hotkeys in Blender. Let me know if you would like to see that.
- This is not necessarily a "tutorial". More like sharing with you the options available.
- If you have a different solution for straightening edges, please let me know.
* 1.25 speed is recommended. 1.5 is also ok.