The splash screen for 2.74 has been selected!
Blender 2.74 is nearly out (in fact, you can test out Release Candidate 1 already!) and as with previous releases, there was a contest held with the community for the splash image that appears when Blender first launches. The theme for this release? Cats!
The rules were simple (as posted in a thread on blenderartists.org):
- All cat renders will be fine, but preferred are the hairy fluffy Cycles rendered ones.
- One cat, many cats, cartoon cats, crazy cats, angry cats, happy cats. All is fine.
- Has to be a single F12 render+composite (no post process in other editors)
- The selected artist should be willing to share the .blend with textures with everyone under a CC-BY-SA or CC-BY.
- Deadline Saturday March 7.
- And we got a winner! This excellent image by Manu Järvinen (maxon) is what you’ll see in Blender 2.74′s splash:
See all the entries on Blender.org:
And here's a time lapse of Manu creating this image: