This little scene by trethaller made me smile.
I started using Blender on my spare time about two years ago, and soon fell in love with it. It is in my opinion one of the best open-source projects out there, and definitely the best open-source program I've used. Since day 1 I've been fond of its openness and hackability.
A few months ago I got interested in hand-painted diffuse-only textures, and decided to give it a serious try. The result is this little scene, my first finished 3D scene ! I nailed the shape of the bird quite early, but I struggled with the rock a little bit. The texturing workflow was:
- Start with a very soft hemi light and bake. That gives a good basis for painting.
- Texture painting tools, hard round brush, flat shading. That's for about 80% of the painting
- Export to png, load in Photoshop, decompose into layers
- Polish details (feathers...)
- Export and preview in blender
- Repeat last 2 steps about 20-30 times :p
At the very end, I added some colored lights, tweaked the overall mood, and baked everything. I painted the skydome almost exclusively in Blender, from the inside, and it was a pretty cool experience, very immersive !
Thank you Blender, BlenderNation, Sketchfab and Polycount !