You're blocking ads, which pay for BlenderNation. Read about other ways to support us.

Developer Meeting Minutes February 13 2011


Some interesting projects are approaching completion.

Ton Roosendaal writes:

Hi all,

Short meeting this time, here's some highlights:

1) Blender 2.5x project

  • Janne has significant improvements for fluid particle control, mostly on UI side to make it more accessible and stable. It might break some older settings, so he'll send a proposal to the maillist with changes this week.
  • Patch for changes in the Material properties have been approved; a new "pipeline" panel gets added to better indicate properties that are global for an entire node-tree setup.
  • Sergey will finish deformed sculpting this week, some brush types need work still.
  • Janne will fix Texture properties "Pin" option - to browse textures outside 'active' context.
  • Lukas Toenne's patch for improved node grouping new really has to be reviewed by Ton!
  • Campbell will write a good doc/specification for addon registery
  • Within a month we should also present and approve a plan for Python events and notifiers, also keeping in mind requirements for custom space types (editors).

2) Other projects, branches

  • Jeroen Bakker will start development on new compositing system this week. For the time being he prefers to use git, on his own website here.



About the Author

Bart Veldhuizen

I have a LONG history with Blender - I wrote some of the earliest Blender tutorials, worked for Not a Number and helped run the crowdfunding campaign that open sourced Blender (the first one on the internet!). I founded BlenderNation in 2006 and have been editing it every single day since then ;-) I also run the Blender Artists forum and I'm Head of Community at Sketchfab.


  1. As far as I know, those are special builds from users, not from the developers of the render branch, you can make optimized buids too, but that doesn't mean you are developing features, you are just compiling it with some options.

  2. No. Brecht ported most of the optimizations from the render branch to the trunk branch of Blender, so speedups should be noticed on the trunk (read main) Blender tree since rev. 34656 at least, so yes, you need a graphicall build (best if is a normal build, not optimized) if somebody wants to try it.

  3. Two thumbs up to the Blender developers for doing such a great job :) , especially with the many bug fixes

    I have a question, when will we be seeing more of BMesh development?

  4. Really cool!!

    I want to know what happened to the BMesh development, too
    the GPU render and the Unlimited Clay!

    Really... you do an excelent work with blender :)


    PD: yea... I miss Blenderartist, too!!! D*:

  5. Andreas Galster on

    BMesh is still being developed, will be tackled when 2.5 is stable and todo-list is done. Unlimited Clay is going well, first "official" release by Farsthary should come in a few weeks I guess and there has never been any GPU render development, there were barely discussions about it.

  6. Hi,
    Would you have some news about the fancy input devices (like the SpaceNavigator)?
    In the previous minute meeting it was said it would be discussed very shortly.
    Couldn't Mike Erwin's job be integrated easily ? Do you have any feedback?

    Thanks and good job !
    Blender rocks ! ;)

Leave A Reply

To add a profile picture to your message, register your email address with To protect your email address, create an account on BlenderNation and log in when posting a message.