Blender developer Jeroen Bakker is known for his tool Blender-aid and his recent demonstration of a hardware-accelerated compositor. Jeroen is now proposing a list of upgrades for the compositor (including hardware acceleration), and is raising funds so he can work on it. The project is divided into several separate stages - full completion will require $15.000.
Jeroen Bakker writes:
The initial proposal was done with technology in mind and has been discussed on IRC and the mailing list. The discussions lead to additional features that impacted the proposal.
The goal of the project is upgrade the core of the compositor to sustain current and future technological and artist's demands. The current compositor has known limitations in both area's. Francois Tarlier and Math Ebb has done a very good job on the artist side. Some of these wishes are very valuable and have big impacts on the core. Some of these wishes have been added to the proposal to make sure that the nodes don't need to be re-done in a later stage.
What will you get, when you fund to the project: Blender will get
- Direct feedback to the artist during compositing. Parts of the composite that is finished, is displayed directly. No more waiting till the progress bar is at 100%. You can see and alter settings.
- Better use of your computers hardware. This will increase the performance for workstations. Proposal is based on OpenCL.
- Fallback for non-OpenCL capable systems. Not all hardware and OS's are capable to benefit from OpenCL (eg. render-farms and home users)
- Optimized for massive resolutions. Think of 4k and 8K movies, high resolution posters. Resolution will not be limited anymore by memory.
Support for different color models:
- RGB, HSV, CIE 1931, and others
- A default color model can be configured for the compositor system. This can be changed per node.
Easier way to develop compositor nodes
- Conversion between color models but also other data-types will be done seamlessly.
- SDK will be updated
Introduction of a property data type.
- Camera information (used by Bokeh Blurs) can be synchronized with the scene data, but also retrieved from files.
- Frame information (original render resolution, frame number)
All nodes needs to be revised. This is an opportunity to update and align all nodes.
- Pre-mul versus key-alpha
- Same camera lenses on different blurs.
At the moment 1.900 USD has already be funded! But to make sure that this project will get a boost more money is needed. Total needed funds for the project is 15.000 USD, but the project will be started when 2.500 USD has been collected.
- Blender VFX wishlist: http://www.francois-tarlier.com/blog/blender-vfx-wish-list-features/
- Developers blog: http://sicg.atmind.nl