You're blocking ads, which pay for BlenderNation. Read about other ways to support us.

Blender meeting minutes, aug 22 2010

8

The weekly development update. On a side-note, Campbell Barton pointed out that the image that I previously used with these articles was from WAY back (2.43?), he provided a more up-to-date version ;-)

Ton Roosendaal writes:

Hi all,

Here are the meeting notes from today's IRC meeting.

Current projects

  • Python will get update to 3.1.2, Nathan L. will take care of it.
  • Collada lib also needs update, Arystan could check on it?
  • Roger Wickes will research new Alembic file format and report back with summary and findings to the bf-committers list.

Blender 2.5x project

  • Thomas Dinges will check on correct steps on increment/decrement clicks in widgets. These values are per-variable stored in RNA code. Meeting agrees on having default modifier behaviour (like SHIFT+click giving 10% of increment).
  • Renaming of all variables for button names and Python calls (i.e. in RNA) is basically done, Campbell awaits feedback on last renames. Scripts in our svn have been fixed too.
  • Campbell investigates how to fix old .blend files for constraint and driver RNA paths. He thinks there might be minimal breakage though, since the normal animation variables (objects, shapes, bones, etc) have not been changed. He'll test it with Durian project files.
  • Same issue for old external (not in svn) scripts... there might be a rename script to handle it.
  • With variable names consistent and frozen, next step is to fix some inconsistent calls for the Python data api (like adding drivers etc).
  • Python roadmap: API calls for UI scripts, Operators and for basic Import/Export are close to finished, and can become a real stable spec soon. The parts of API that's in development - and apt to change - will be clearly indicated as such.
  • New test build (2.54 beta) could be done in two weeks, will be checked on next meeting.

GSoC wrap up

  • Good news: all students have had a good review. No dropouts this time!
  • Tom: once wiki is back, could we get a nice overview page with links to the project result docs and a short summary?

Thanks,

-Ton-

About Author

Bart Veldhuizen

I have a LONG history with Blender - I wrote some of the earliest Blender tutorials, worked for Not a Number and helped run the crowdfunding campaign that open sourced Blender (the first one on the internet!). I founded BlenderNation in 2006 and have been editing it every single day since then ;-) I also run the Blender Artists forum and I'm Head of Community at Sketchfab.

8 Comments

  1. I hope in the near future there will also be more attention for standard presets like materialpresets, renderpresets, maybe mesh presets. Just a user :). But I love to see the daily progress.

  2. Nice update, I for one are a real Collada and Alembic format supporter.
    The position Blender is in is really great when it comes to fast support and implementation of new formats. If only they would fix the layer name en flipped multilayer openexr implementation :P

  3. Thomas Larsson on

    Hopefully all kinds of collections become their own classes, with associated new and remove methods, so you can add items without resorting to operators.

    Aha, I see that there is finally a ColorRampElements class. It has been sorely missed.

  4. Hello to all. Its great to see that Pythoon and collada are gonna be put up to date :).

    Is there any chance that in Beta 2.54 all the features of BGE could be back?

Leave A Reply

To add a profile picture to your message, register your email address with Gravatar.com. To protect your email address, create an account on BlenderNation and log in when posting a message.