It's that time of year again: we need an excellent Blender Demo Reel to impress participants at this year's SIGGRAPH conference. This is pretty much the world's most important 3D exhibition, and as reported on blender.org, there will be a Blender presence on the exhibition floor. If you're interested in having your work considered for this, keep reading.
At last year's conference when we had the Open Source Pavilion, the Blender Demo Reel drew in quite a crowd and really got people to see Blender in a much more positive light. We'd like to keep that momentum going.
This is a call for content for the best work that was created in Blender in the last year. I get to have the great job of editing it all together. We're on a tight schedule here, so deadlines will come quickly... and they will have to be absolute. Below are the relevant dates:
- 20 June - Call for content
- 7 July - Content submission closes; best work selected; editing begins
- 30 July - DVD community release
- 5 August - Start of SIGGRAPH
How to Participate
Send all submissions to [email protected]. Be sure to include your name as you want it displayed in the video and the title of your work.
Things to Remember
- Don't include your name or the artwork's title in the material, we'll add that.
- Don't email large video files (my mailbox is only so big ;). Instead, publish your work online and send a hyperlink. If you have difficulty finding a place to upload, let me know and I can try to make some accommodations.
- To maintain consistency with previous demo reels, this one will be rendered in the PAL format (720x576px, 25fps). Because we want to show high quality work, low resolution submissions will be less likely to get in. I can read most codecs, but mainstream ones tend to work best. As a rule of thumb, just remember: if I can't play it, I can't edit it into the reel.
- Remember that we're focusing on what Blender can do here. If you're sending a scene or a character, perhaps send a wire with it. If you're sending a composite, perhaps show the scene before you added your 3D objects/effects. If you're sending an animation, make it awesome ;).
- The DVD will be released under a Creative Commons license. When you submit your work, you agree to us including it on the DVD. Be sure that you are the rightful copyright owner of the work you submit (e.g. you don't have a client who doesn't want his work to show up here).
- As with last year, we're expecting a lot of responses, so we will not be able to communicate with you about the inclusion of your work on the reel. You'll have to wait until the release to know that. I will send you a reply to confirm that I received your submission.