Our birthday party is over and I'm overwhelmed by the result. Initially, I had my reservations about us being able to reach our goal, and never had I expected you to be this generous! On the fourth day we had already collected $3350 and the school-o-meter turned into an explode-o-meter :). Read on for more information about the donations and about the next steps.
To give you an impression of the gifts, I've prepared a little histogram:
As you can see, the majority of the people donated between 10 and 50 dollars (the absolute peak being on $10) and we had two extremely generous sponsors: one for $250 and one for $500!
As someone observed, receiving 204 donations means that about 3% of our readers participated and I think that's a great result. I suspect that some people are already donating to other causes and others may not be in a position to give away their money. That's fine!
If you look at the number of donations per day you'll see them dropping off until yesterday. Apparently some people realised this was their last chance to give :)
Too much money! Oh no!
As we overshot our goal of $3350 for the classroom by almost $800, we can add additional educational products to our gift. I'm suggesting the following:
- 40 x 100 hot meals for children. I'm guessing that there will be about 20 kids in the classroom and that they'll have 200 schooldays per year. Offering them a hot meal every day is an excellent encouragement for their parents to send them to school. 40 meals cost 40 * $11.64 = $465.60, so we still have some money left.
- 2 x 12 textbooks = 2 * $ 58.20 = $116.40 .
- Two goats, one alpaca, and three animal care kits = 2* $45,56 + $ 38.80 + 3* $ 27.10 = $211.22. Yeah yeah, I'm a sucker for animals :)
This totals to $793.22 (I used an exchange rate of 1 GBP = USD 1.92). I'll leave a bit of space for exchange rate differences. If there's any money left, I'll give it to the Blender Foundation.
How about it?
Here's what's going to happen now:
- I have transferred the money to my personal bank account. I'll now have to wait until it arrives before - I can spend it with my creditcard (my creditcard isn't really a 'credit' card).
- Once the money is in, I'll place the order at the Oxfam website.
- I'll publish the receipt of the order here, as 'proof' of the purchase.
- Enjoy the good feeling!
I expect you'll see the receipt here next week. Until then, thanks again for your generosity and enthusiasm!