We recently posted about the MakeHuman preview video. Now you can try it out yourself with the just-released MakeHuman 0.9.0 for Windows, which is available now for download.
*Update:Â Mac version now available.
And what is MakeHuman? From the site:
MakeHuman is an open-source, open graphics library, stand-alone software program... Its purpose is to provide a versatile, professional and extremely specialized application for parametrical modeling of three-dimensional humanoid characters.
After more than one year of work, we finally perfected the code and implemented the more complex features. Particularly the muscle engine requested an enormous quantity of experimentations, while it took a lot of months of hard work to totally rewrite the code in C++.
It's been well worth the wait with MakeHuman 0.9.0 sporting the following features:
- The program has been entirely rewritten in C++, by using in the best way possible the Object Oriented design, to increase stability and reliability.
- New multi-platform, simple and stable interface entirely written in openGL.
- Poses engine with automatic realistic simulation of the muscular movements!
- Autorigging (auto-adapting to deformations of morphings!)
- More than 3000 morphings!
- System of mixing different characters (Morphing alchemy(c)).
- System of mixing based on Sheldon's anthropometric technics (Endomorph, mesomorph, ectomorph)
- More intuitive Icons: distorted areas are highlighted
- Wavefront obj exporter, with materials and UV coordinates
- Photo-realistic rendering with Renderman compliant engines (beta)
- Toon rendering (experimental, by pressing T key)
On its own or in concert with Blender (using the exporting options), MakeHuman 0.9.0 looks like it's going to be a tool worth having. You can go here to see the feature list as well as the limitations, download location, and other information. Or you can download it directly from SourceForge.