In order to be able to present the best Blender artwork at Siggraph, we are working on a new Blender DVD.
If you want to try and get your work shown on the world's most important 3D exhibition, then read on.
Last year the coolest and best Blender artwork was shown at Siggraph as a 9 minutes long video compilation [65MB]. It was a great tribute to the qualities of Blender artists and it led to many positive and even surprised reactions of people who were unfamiliar with Blender. Of course we have to do that again this year :)
Ton has asked me to collect and compile the greatest work of this year and to prepare another Siggraph-worthy demoreel of Blender work. Like last year, Jan Morgenstern (the composer of Elephants Dream) will compose the music. We will make the DVD available in several video formats the week before Siggraph starts. This year, the focus will be on animation. Still images are still very welcome but hopefully they will represent less than half of the material on the DVD.
The planning is as follows:
June 15th - Call for content
July 1st - Content submission closes, Ton and I select the best work.
July 5th - First rough edit done, music composition begins
July 14th - Music composition ready, video edit finetuning
July 18th - Finish demoreel, prepare DVD version
July 22nd - DVD community release
August 1st - Start of Siggraph
How to participate
To submit, send your work to [email protected]. Be sure to include your name as you want it displayed in the video and the title of your work.
A few important notes
- Don't include your name or the artwork title in the material; we'll add that.
- Don't make our mailbox explode by mailing us videofiles, but instead publish your work online somewhere and send us a hyperlink.
- The DVD will be rendered on PAL resolution (720x560px), so if you want your work to really stand out in quality don't send in low-res videos.Use a mainstream video compressor (such as XVid, DivX or DV). I will not install obscure codecs on my machine if it cannot be read by recognized standards.
- The DVD will be released under a Creative Commons license. When you submit your work you agree to us including it on the DVD. Be sure that you are the rightful copyright holder of the work you submit (e.g. you don't have a client who doesn't want his work to show up here).
- We're expecting a lot of response on this so we will not be able to communicate with you about the inclusion of your work. You'll have to wait and see the final version to know for sure ;-) You will however get an automated reply confirming that your file was received correctly.