Well, let's face the truth, Blender's layer feature isn't what makes us choose it for our projects ;-)
Almost Maya, the less architect-friendly 3d package, managed to have a nice layer manager in its last versions.
Finally this is going to change thanks to another Python script project: Layer Manager by FourMadMen.
This script introduces some new functionalities and improve the existing ones through a clean and neat interface, what's better it handles keyboard shortcuts too!
Here's a list of its features:
- Basic Layer locking system
- Moving selected objects to selected layers
- Autoload most recent layer file if it exists
- Layer Groups
- Hide/Reveal Layers (in the script GUI)
- Set layer visiblility from script GUI. LMB to select (Additive). CTRL+LMB make only target layer visible.
- Saving and Loading of layer Information (persistence)
- Set layer names
One of those nice little tools that can make the difference when dealing with massive scenes where You can forget what objects are in which layer, or for us OpenSource'd architects-wanna-be working at our last post-modernist building pre-viz.
If you like this script or want to suggest new features give some feedback to the author on Elysiun.
Definitively one of those "Best choice" things here on BlenderNation.